Some key figures
- Invent the steels and steel solutions of tomorrow, thus developing products that create value for customers and expand the use of ArcelorMittal's steels worldwide
- Improve ArcelorMittal's competitiveness by developing new processes and optimising existing industrial plant to reduce costs and improve quality
- Contribute to sustainable development by reducing environmental impact
- Continuously upgrade ArcelorMittal's scientific knowledge and attract technical talent
- Develop new solutions and new products : conception of new steel grades (SOLAM, FreeForm, Maflex...), design of thermal treatments to achieve desired microstructure (dilatometer, cooling tower), surface treatment and coatings development (galvanisation, galfanization, paints, lacquers, powder...)
- Process expertise by providing technical support to the plants and customers
- Contribute to conception and optimization of processes by using simulation tools
- Support for instrumentation of industrial processes (Thermal camera, pyrometers, force sensors...)
Key R&D facilities
- Finite element model Forge2011® to simulate forming and heat treatment processes
- Product characterisation at micro and macro scale: Field Emission Gun SEM, macroprobe, torsion & fatigue machines, corrosion chambers...
- Process pilots for machinability, drawing and heat treatment
The Gandrange R&D centre operates worldwide, working closely with ArcelorMittal steelmakers and wiredrawers (WireSolutions). Regular technical exchanges take place with the teams in Europe, South Africa, the Americas and Asia.